Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Information Please

*I had this blog all typed out and then it got eaten. First time that's happened with this program. I've decided to type up the blogs in notebook first before copying and pasting them into the blog itself. This will make it easier to sort out chronologically later.*

So, I phoned AMTRAK info to clear up a few questions I had about the North America Rail Pass. The main one was about the restriction of 'max of 4 one-way trips'. The operator, Kim, assured me this was mainly to discourage people from using it for commuting between cities. I should have no problem with this one.

The second question was whether I could use my AAA discount. She told me the price would be $488.70 after the discount. So, this is a savings of almost $60 that I wasn't expecting. Normal off-season price would be $543. We didn't discuss taxes, so I'm not sure what the total would be.

As far as reservations were concerned she advised me 'the sooner the better' and related stories of people not getting space on the train they wanted. With most trains running daily, that was not a big concern. But the train from San Antonio to LA only runs three days a week, and some in Canada too. I'll have to plan accordingly. One other note on reservations is that I have to reserve at least one trip in Canada (and one leg in USA) before the pass will be 'issued'. I'll have to figure out approx when I plan to hit Canada, and I guess I could always change reservation times/dates when I figured out more.

She also cleared up a question about checked baggage. It seems not all stations/stops HAVE checked baggage facilities. Austin to San Antonio being one of them. That kinda sucks, but maybe I'll have to leave from SA instead of Austin. One other thing it says is no plastic containers for checked baggage. Well, I was planning to bring at least ONE 5-gallon
rubbermaid. I've done so while travelling by plane before. That's gonna put a spanner in the works on that plan. I've been packing my 'must take with me' stuff in a rubbermaid. Along with 'ship later', and 'would be nice to keep but won't sweat loosing it' in other rubbermaids.

If I catch the train in San Antonio, it might work out better. It will also allow me some time to spend with my son before heading out. I still have to work out the details on that but heck, I still have a lot of details to work out before I leave anyways.

I plan to carry-on my two cameras and lenses, a laptop, and a very small bag consisting of shaving kit, change of underwear, and some snacks. With each leg lasting less than 48 hours I should be able to freshen up in the bathrooms, and refreshen at each stop I make. For checked baggage I have a big ol' hockey bag, where I can keep socks and underwear in one
compartment, shirts and pants in the main compartment, and winter stuff in another end compartment. Since I hope to do a leg up to Churchill, Manitoba, which is on the edge of Hudson Bay, in the coldest part of the winter, after spending 5 yrs not owning a snowshovel.....those will come in handy. I MIGHT be able to carry another checked bag, but it'll get a little hard juggling those thru train stations and such. I'm hoping train stations still have those pay-per-use lockers so I can stuff gear and do little walking tours with my cameras between waiting for trains, or waiting for friends to come pick me up
or such. I'm not sure, since 9/11 if they still have those.

BTW, just for future reference, the number listed on the AMTRAK site for info is correct, but the North America Rail Pass has a number set up specifically for it: 1-800-722-6137.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home