Monday, January 23, 2006

Bakersfield Weekend

Currently onboard train.  Monday 5:45pm leaving Bakersfield.

I’m in Car 3 of this train.   First thing I noticed was that it has wifi access, and according to the FAQ, in each car.   But at $6.95 for 24 hours, I’ll opt (the SSID is opti) out for the 5-6 hours I’ll be aboard.  

I tried to upload some photos from my friend’s net earlier but there seems to be a problem on my hosting side.   Uploading was very slow if not at all.   If I knew it was corrected I might have gone with the wifi option instead of using my T-mobile connection.   The car has tables and I was lucky enough to share one of the ones that has 110v outlets.  I can listen to music and such all the way to my connection in Sacremento at 11pm.

Just to backtrack a little, the train was late getting into LA on Friday.   Arriving late enough that I didn’t catch the 1:15pm connecting bus to Bakersfield.   They put another charter bus online soon after we arrived and we got underway around 3:30pm.   That put me arriving in Bakersfield just before 6pm.   Somehow,   my checked baggage arrived before I did….it was never put on the same bus as I was on.

I was met at the station by my longtime friend, Mark, whom I hadn’t seen in almost 7 years.   I told him just look for the only guy in California wearing shorts and a t-shirt that day.   Apparently the temperature dipped below 70F and most natives were in long pants and sweaters.

After loading up my luggage in his service truck he informed me that his wife and another good friend, Suzie, was under the weather.   We were going to pick up some eats for takeout at the Original Roadhouse Grill.   Busy as hell, but since we were getting takeout we went right up and ordered from the hostess.    Then we proceeded to the bar area to wait for our order, and grab a beer.   They had Amber Bock on tap…my newest fav for about the past year.   It’s a semi-dark beer with a great full flavour.

6:07pm We are at our first stop…Wasco, CA

Anyways, this is one of those restaurants that has free peanuts which you throw the shells on the floor.   I used to have a issue with those years ago…but have come to enjoy them.  This one had wooden barrels with the tops filled with peanuts everywhere!   The floor was full of shells as it was quite busy.    When I ordered my beer the bartender asked whether I wanted the 32oz or the 64oz.   I opted for the 32oz…I hadn’t had a drink in a few weeks and knew I’d be a lightweight after lack of sleep on the train.   He handed me this HUGE Mason jar full of frosty cold beer.   Mmmmmmmmmm…..damn, the 64oz’er must occupy two hands!   By the time I had finished my beer and eaten more than a few handfuls of peanuts, our Ribeye Steaks were ready.   We had ordered them with sides of baked potatoes, mushrooms, and au jus.    A hearty meal for anyone.

Arriving at Mark and Suzie’s house we dug into our supper and got re-acquainted in real-life.   They’ve been friends since ’96, but we rarely get a chance to get together.  And this was the first time in their new house.   Fabulous house is was too…..HD Big Screen, Island Kitchen, Walk-in closet, Jacuzzi and separate shower, etc.   Roomy and well thought out, that’s for sure.   But, after a good meal, a 32oz mug of beer, and two days of travel it didn’t take me long to fade to black.

I awoke several times, and not hearing any sound figured the train had stopped at a siding to let freight by before remembering I was actually on solid ground.  

Saturday in Bakersfield, CA.

The next morning Mark and I headed out to do some errands in preparation for a party that night.   On the way we stopped at a local eatery and I had a huge plate of Charuso (sp?) & Eggs.    I couldn’t finish it all, and I don’t think Mark finished all of his huge plate either.   I picked up the bill for breakfast….although I’m sure it didn’t even out for the Ribeye’s from the night before.  

We dropped off some chairs and did a little sightseeing, the highlight of which was Bakersfield Heights which overlooked a working oilfield.   I posted the picture previously.   It was a beautiful day…the perfect temp, and just a slight haze.   A few more errands and we headed back home.    I was able to get some photos posted to the blog….luckily he had wifi in his home so connection to the internet was hassle-free.  

I forgot to mention that earlier I got to meet his Mom who lives on the same parcel of land, although further back.   She seemed like a sweet lady….very intelligent and alert.  On the way back I took the photo of the horse in the mist/fog that you’ll see once I get them loaded.

Early in the afternoon we headed back to the party place and help with the setup.   By the time we finished it was almost time to eat.    One lady was throwing a ‘thank you’ party for all her friends, and had made all the stuff herself from scratch.   We had appetizers of stuffed mushrooms, veggies and dip, and moved onto a salad,   some of the best lasagna I’ve ever tasted.   And to top it all off some German Chocolate cake!   A good time was had by all, especially me.

Sunday in Bakersfield

Sunday we all piled into the PT Cruiser with our cameras and headed through the mountain pass carved by the Kern River and up to Lake Isabella.    This Canuck surprisingly found it a bit chilly….must have been the wind, 3000’ and ‘dead of California winter’ as my friends put it.    In reality, it was sun shining and 54F most of the day.   If a picture is worth a thousand words, I’ll let the soon to be posted photos do the talking for me.  

Ooops…forgot we had brunch at Buck Owens Crystal Palace.   I’m not a big country music fan but I grew up watching Hee-Haw, and I just love visiting kitchy places.   Got a few photos inside, including the convertible on hanging behind the bar.  

The day was topped off with homemade Tacos, a wonderful game of Scene-it (which I won, but not by the blowout I expected), and a newly acquired copy of the movie Airplane on DVD which kept Mark and I in stitches while munching on potato chips and homemade dip.

And that was the weekend in Bakersfield.   Today was spent doing laundry, trying to upload photos, etc, until it was time to drop me off at the station.   All I can say is that I had a WONDERFUL time and it was all due to my gracious hosts and good friends Mark and Suzie (I still call her Suz ().    I hope I get the chance to visit again sometime!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home