Monday, January 16, 2006

A Slight Snag

A Slight Snag

I hate to plan things TOO far in advance.   Too many things can go wrong.  In this case, I held off buying my rail pass until I got to a point where everything else was behind me.   The details are too mundane to explain, but I’m now at that point.  

On Sunday, shortly after noon, I loaded the last of my worldly possessions in my ’95 Lincoln Continental, backed out of the driveway of the place we had been living for the last year (and a bit), and turned the car South.  I stopped a few houses down to say a last physical farewell to a friend,  then headed down past the HEB, left onto 1431 for a few blocks.  I noticed the new Lucky Buffet was packed…I was looking forward to eating there but never really had the chance.

A few more blocks and I once again aimed South on Hwy 281, and straight on for another hour and a half.

”Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.Who knows what we'll find there, who knows what we'll see.” – Peter Pan

As I cross the bridge over the non-existent Falls of Marble, I glance in the rearview and think how surreal it all seems.   I only lived there a little more than a year, but had worked in that town for the previous year also.   It’s a little microcosm of Texas life --- feeling the growing pains of a city about to burst, while trying to hang onto rural values.     Being pushed by those who want to see growth, and pulled back by those who wish things to remain just the way they are.    A sanctuary from hustle of the capital city of Austin, and a holdout for rodeos and the ‘cowboy way’.    Where hospitality gets lost in the bottomless cup of coffee.

I stop at Round Mountain, population 111, most of which seem to center around the truck stop where I usually grab a chicken salad sandwich and a coke.  This time I opted for Sprite, and it tasted like bleach.   They must have just cleaned the machines.   I hung onto it, and confirmed the taste with son and wife.   I figured if I got sick, I wanted backup witnesses.   Also, they have this awesome Oriental Mix snack bag.   I usually get one, but didn’t this time.   I wasn’t THAT hungry.

Johnson City was next.   You can’t miss that sign that proudly let’s you know it’s the hometown of 36th president of the good ol’ US of A.    I heard he liked dogs.  (    This is also a good base for wildflower season…something central Texas if famous for each spring.  http://www.wildflower.org    
Not far past that is Blanco.  I didn’t even glance over at the head office of the Internet company I used to work for in Marble Falls.   Just glad that is behind me.  

Forty minutes.  Right on schedule.   I used to have to drive to Blanco about once a week.  Funny, but even with the heavy load, and the car topper messing with the aerodynamics, I’m actually averaging better than the usual 20mpg.   Must be that lead I took out of my shoe a few days ago.

And onward to San Antonio with the feeling I’ll probably never see Marble Falls again.  It wouldn’t be the first town like that in my travels.   And I’m pretty sure it won’t be my last.    When I arrived at my wife’s new house,   I got to hug my son, and pet the cats, which were only out of my site for 24 hours, but were missed.    I spotted phantom cats in the corner of my eye the previous day.   Funny how they have that affect….and I’m not a cat person.

I quickly went about setting up wifi in her house.   Tj’s computer was at the other end of the house and he hadn’t been online in weeks.   I needed access for the laptop, so I could order the Rail Pass.   Now that the car had made it to San Antonio I could relax about that leg of the trip.    When I phoned AMTRAK, I got a recorded message that the Rail Pass office was only open between 8am-9pm Monday-Friday!   Oh great!    The train I want to catch is leaving 5:40am on Tuesday, and Monday is a semi-holiday.   Will they be closed or not?   Only time will tell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home