Monday, February 06, 2006

Listening to American Woman

Listening to American Woman again, by The Guess Who.   Almost as soon as we got underway from Winnipeg I got to talking to a couple of the Via car attendants.   They were talking about China politics and stuff and I let him know about the ‘Firefly’ theme of the two future superpowers were China and the US, so everyone spoke Chinese and American.    This attendant was surprisingly fluent in Cantonese.

Anyways, we got to talking and he mentioned he had flown into Austin, TX one time and had seen Burton Cummings (with Joe Cocker opening) at a venue just outside Austin.   What a coincidence because the theme of my trip of course is ‘American Woman’.   So I tell him that I have the live extended version from the Running Back thru Canada album.   He corrects me and says, ‘No, you have the one with what’s called the ‘jazz intro’ first played in some concert venue in Seattle, Wa.

He goes on to quote some of the lyrics from the version and says it contains a lot of hidden messages.  

‘What are you going to do baby now that the roast beef’s gone’   is actually referring to Randy Bachman leaving the band.   ‘Get down on Arizona way, Cherokee is on the phone’ refers to the person with whom they are replacing Randy.    

He gave me a lot more detail than that but I just couldn’t absorb it all.   So now I’m listening to the whole thing again for the hidden meanings.  

Then I meet this semi-famous criminal turned author turned preacher.   Happy Ness (yes, that’s his name) spent the first 43 years in and out of jail.   Now age 71, he travels all over preaching the ‘word’.    I’m not sure how old he was when he wrote the book ‘Finding Happy Ness’ but I’ve seen and heard of it before.   I should pick it up some day just to see what he has to say.    

I’m currently reading ‘Snake Eater’ by Don Bendell.   I have two of Don’s paperbacks autographed.   He was TJ’s Tae Kwon Do instructor for over a year.   When I found out he was an author I tracked down a couple of his out of print books on Amazon and had them autograph them before we left Pueblo, Colorado.    He also wrote, directed, and starred in his own movie, ‘The Instructor’.    His books are mainly Westerns, but the two I have he writes about his true experiences in Vietnam.    Among other things, he’s also the president of the Special Forces Association in Colorado.   If you ever want to find out if someone claiming they did ‘Snake Eater’ time in the US Military is telling the truth, he’ll find out for ya.    They really look down on false claims of membership in this elite group.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home