Sunday, January 29, 2006

The Perverted Onion

The Perverted Onion

I think Pauline might have been worried I wouldn’t like the living conditions after the wonderful home I stayed in while in Bakersfield.   But, the way I see it, as long as you’re with friends you’re already in a palace.

You see, they bought this beautiful piece of property along the river in Aberdeen, Wa.   It came with a very old, and somewhat historic house.   And because it is near the river, it’s regulated by the Army Corp of Engineers.    Because of this the house is grandfathered in,  but they’d have a heck of a time building something new.  

So, this house used to be a gas station way back when.  And a corner store, and all kinds of other things.   They even have old photos of the different periods it went through.  And they are in the midst of renovating.  The place is mostly gutted, so living conditions are ‘rough’ but there.  

The reason they call it the Perverted Onion is because every time they peel back a layer it reveals something else.   Some of the additions were nailed to the existing shingles!  Obviously before the days ‘code’.    Slowly it’s coming along.   They shored up the basement, poured a bunch of new concrete and built up walls, leveling the house.   There is a great natural gas faux woodstove that keeps everything nice and toasty.   But, mostly the walls are bare and little things like the roof leaks…it’s a work in progress.

The neighbour next door also has a wonderful piece of property which he takes care of meticulously.   He lives the simple life, but also fiddling with something, and very industrious.   You’ll see photos of his projects under the Aberdeen photos marked Frank.    There is a nice little nature trail where I took a lot of those other Aberdeen photos.   This property is Frank’s birthright and he is finely tuned with nature on his 25+ acres.   He tends to the trail, and used to keep a field mowed so kids could go back and play baseball.  

I don’t think you could ask for a better neighbour.

Shaughn and Pauline did there best to show me the sites of Aberdeen and WestPort…even Washaway Beach.   But the rain didn’t let up much the whole time I was there.   They were in day 39 out of 40 for rainfall!   Everything is DAMP!    And I could feel a cold coming on, and that dampness just cut right to the bone.  

Pauline studiously concocted some healing tea which was probably the only thing that kept me going the whole stay.   That and Coke! (

Even though I stayed on an extra day, it was much too short a visit.   These two have been good emotional support for me over the last few months and I value their friendship.   They even made sure I was well fed, well beered, and stored up on snacks for my trip.   And Pauline snuck some tea bags into my luggage for those long cold nights up to Churchill.

Ironically, as I enter my home country, my support network thins out.   Mostly because I’m at the wrong end of the country.   As I get closer to Toronto and Niagara Falls things shouldn’t seem so lonely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home