Thursday, February 09, 2006

Pier 21 - and Home

Pier 21 has historic signifigance...it's like the Ellesmere Island of Canada as it was an immigration processing centre. Before it was recognized for it's historic significance, it was, among other things, a warehouse for exporting 50lb bags of flour to the Soviet Union, and I spent 35 weeks there studying civilian seaman stuff when it housed the Nova Scotia Nautical Institute. When not in class we would explore the many nooks and crannies such old buildings always seem to have and came across some of the decades old immigration forms. Just to the right of this photo is the ramp where soldiers were loaded onto troop ships such as the Queen Mary and transported to foriegn lands during the World Wars. Today it's an interpretative center where one can trace their roots much like Ellesmere Island/Statue of Liberty, and I believe it's still used as an artists community of studios, as well as a community centre.

Anyways, this photo was made about 500' from where I detrained in Halifax. My brother surprised me by meeting me there with a 6-pack of Keith's. Lent me $20 for a cab, and it's a good thing he did....because when I got home there was only $8 in my account. A few deposits still haven't gone through yet. But one of them has been taken care of a few short hours later thanks to Shelley.

More about my final leg of the trip later. Just wanted to let you all know I'm home. Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you made it there safe and sound HS! How bittersweet to make the journey though eh?

I hope our paths cross again someday. My hair is still long hehe.

I want to wish you all the best that life has to offer. I hope you find your peace and happiness on home soil.

kesha.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad you made it home... please don't be a stranger to blogs and keep us all updated on what is going on...

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home