Thursday, January 19, 2006

Lunch on the Sunset

Just finished lunch while stopped at Alpine, Tx.  Elevation 4458’…about the same as Pueblo, Colorado.  At least I think it was Alpine.   Had lunch with a nice couple from Tyler, TX traveling on a ‘buddy’ ticket.   His name was Jean and her name I had never heard of before and for the life of me I can’t remember.  I told them about Trainweb.com and they are going to look for their photo on my blog.  

I ordered the Angus Beef Burger with Swiss cheese, which came with a plate a chips also.   It was pretty tasty overall, and although I prefer Coke, it was all washed down with a Pepsi.   I forgot to bring some cash with me so had to pay be Credit Card.   To do that one must present a photo id and your ticket (for the reservation number).   In the lounge car it’s a minimum of $10 order.  Early I had missed the last call to breakfast so had to dig through my pockets for a $2 King Size Snickers Bar.   Truthfully, I love Snickers and could probably last the whole trip on Snickers alone…..but my belt size might not agree.

On a side note, imagine the Dining Car announcements being read by actor James Wood.   It’s something to smirk about.

Another lunch companion was Pam…headed to El Paso, TX.    Another couple of gentlemen out of a small town in Arkansas that I met in the Lounge Car were also headed to El Paso.   He was picking up his daughter and grand-daughter.  She gets to take the train back while they hump it back in a u-haul.   Guess that’s what family do for each other.  

I’ve gotten some nice photos so far, but zip for a internet connection out here in southwest TX.   I also really need another battery for this laptop.  It’s lasting an hour at tops, especially if I’m editing photos.   The only real electrical receptacles I’ve found are in the Lounge Car on the Observation Level, and downstairs in the lounge itself there is one.    Most of them are filled up with cellphones recharging.   I brought a triple socket, so I can share with the cellphones if need be.    What I’d really like is some internet connection.   I see some people using their Verizon phones, but no signal at all on T-mobile and Cingular.

There’s a gentleman sitting beside me who reminds me of Morgan Freeman.  He was sleeping when I got on in San Antonio, but when he woke up he immediately began writing in his letter writing pad.    Kept a dictionary on his foldup-tray.  And, from the Jazz music I could hear through his headphones I’d say he was from the New Orleans area.   His seat stub says he’s going all the way to LA.    An interesting looking character, maybe I can get to chat with him later even though he’s kept kind of quiet so far.    Ironically, the book he is reading is ‘A >>> from Woman’

Another interesting site onboard are the three couples of Pennsylvania Amish.   Just weird seeing them on a train in Texas….in the middle of nowhere part of TX at that.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home